Saturday, March 17, 2012

A few thoughts on why I chose to do this project:

1) Fitness - as it is, time is a rare commodity, so getting my workout in while I'd ordinarily be sitting in my car is a huge benefit of the bike commute.
2) Cost - with gas prices creeping closer to $4/gal (avg in Baton Rouge, LA), saving money on gas is becoming a necessity.
3) Earth - regardless of politics and the global warming/climate change debate, bikes don't have the same negative effect on the environment that fossil fuel burning machines do. It's just that simple.
4) Romance - there's just something pure and liberating about not depending on an auto for transportation!

This being the case, you can look for this type of information in my posts:
1) Mileage/Calories burned - distance travelled will be exact, calories will be estimated.
2) Gas NOT used/Money saved - I am especially interested to see how this one shapes up!
3) Footprint - I'm sure the internet has a carbon footprint calculator somewhere...
4) Inspiration - I'll include some of my real-life experiences and favorite quotes/anecdotes for reflection when I can.

I can't express how excited/anxious I am about this project! If this blog gets one person on the bike and moving more, this project has been worth it.  Please keep following, and check me out on Twitter (RoadRiseUp2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment