Thursday, March 29, 2012

My first fender bender...

After 25 years of bike riding, six of which have seen the occasional ride to work, the other nineteen of which saw joy-riding of all kinds, from relaxing solo cruises through the neighborhood to the risky thrill-seeking behavior of early adolescence, it's finally happened: one short week into a project in which I report my (reportedly safe) cycling habits to the world, I had an accident with an automobile.

No worries! I'm fine, the driver's fine and all vehicles involved are fine.  AND it was totally MY FAULT.

Keep reading after the jump...


The afternoon commute was a good, as traffic was just heavy enough for me to ride casually alongside the congestion.  I cautiously breezed by the motorists who were slowed by the gridlock, so I didn't need to worry about cars coming by too quickly - any danger was in front of me.  I was most excited as I approached a dangerous left turn (across a two lane highway) which typically requires me to stop and wait for the traffic in order to get across.  Traffic flowed in such a way that as I looked over my shoulder, all was clear and I could just pedal across to the stopped traffic sitting at the left-turn signal.

The scene of the "crime"
The intersection has two turning lanes, so I always take the right one as I will need to end up on the right side of the road anyway.  Mysteriously, the left lane was backed up all the way through the turn, while my lane was free of any such delays, just a few cars waiting patiently.  When the light turned green, I waited for the tail lights to dim before I engaged my pedals.  As usual, I got up out of the saddle to get up to turning speed (12-18 mph, typically) and followed the traffic.

No danger ahead!
I am always scanning the road ahead for any potential dangers or traffic situations that will require me to slow or stop.  Most motorists are familiar with this strategy.  While looking ahead, the only possible reason I could see to stop was a vehicle awaiting a right turn opposite the intersection, but it was stopped, so I wasn't concerned.

The vehicle waiting to turn across the intersection poses no immediate threat
The rain had just started to fall and while the roads weren't slick just yet, I was still wary of my balance coming through the turn.  Also, wet brakes take a little bit longer to stop a bike, so I was keeping an eye on the vehicles far front of me for any signs of braking.  Then, for no apparent reason, the car I was following stopped short!  I squeezed my brakes hard and directed myself towards the outside (passenger side) of the car, but it was too late.

Everyone's OK!
 I bumped the rear passenger side of the car hard enough to knock me out of the saddle, but not to the ground.  I waved the still (inexplicably) stationary car through the intersection so that we could get out of further danger.  Seeing her pull into a parking lot on the right, I followed to apologize.  She was very nice about the situation (and no doubt completely unsure what to do about having an accident with a bicycle).  We inspected her vehicle to insure that there was no damage (of course there wasn't), we exchanged pleasantries and then she was off.  A quick inspection of my bike showed no damage, just an easily fixed bent brake hood.


It occurred to me almost immediately just how lucky I am.  To come away from a collision with a car with nary scratch or bruise is truly amazing.  Just two months ago, two cyclists in Baton Rouge were hit by a drunk driver, one of whom was killed.  In 2009, the U.S. saw 630 cyclist fatalities and 51,000 injuries as a result of motor-vehicle collisions (source: National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration).

As careful as we may be, these tragic events happen.  I hope that this first time will also be my last time - but I move forward keenly aware of the fact that the burden of preventing another accident falls just as heavily on me as it does on everyone else.  And to the woman whose car I hit today, thanks for being such a sweetheart!

2 comments: