Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gear, Safety & CO2

I didn't get to ride today on account of a late night at work and awful weather, so I thought we'd take a look at my gear, discuss safety (thanks to all of my friends who have expressed concerns), and begin to address this CO2 business (SCIENCE!)

Here's my bike:
She's a 1995 Cannondale S800 that my dad gave me 6 years ago (almost every bike thing I own is a hand-me-down which I have graciously accepted!)  She used to have racing tires (23's for the gearheads out there), but I replaced them with fatter ones (28's) to make the commute more comfortable.  I also added the luggage rack, which was a birthday gift last year (thanks dad!)  You can barely tell from the photo, but the pedals are the type you need to clip into, which allows me to apply force to the pedal though the full range of motion - makes me faster and more efficient
Like me, she creaks and pops a little once she starts moving, but stays strong through the long haul!  

On all of my rides, safety is of primary importance.  While this project is something in which I am interested, of far great importance is my health and safety.  As such, I always wear a helmet! (left)
Also, the law in Louisiana is that all cyclist must have a front (below) and rear (right) light when riding at night.  Visibility is always a problem, as motorists aren't always used to seeing cyclists.  All we can do is continue to make ourselves visible while being courteous and alert.

Finally, regarding CO2.  It turns out that my earlier calculations regarding CO2 were inaccurate.  One gallon of gas releases almost twenty (!!) lbs of CO2 when gobbled up by the average car.  That puts my CO2 "saved" for yesterdays ride at around 18.8 lbs.  I think I'm going to dedicate a page to solving the mysteries surrounding CO2, including how 20 lbs of this stuff comes from 6 lbs of gasoline AND why CO2 emissions matter.

Hopefully, I'll get to ride again soon! Until then, check after the break to enjoy a few more sweet pictures of my bike!





2 comments:

  1. Pretty sweet bike. Did you go somewhere to get the angle and height of the seat adjusted or did you know how to get that done already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had alot of help from my dad and brother who have been cycling for a while, so I was able to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete