Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How did you get into cycling? (Part 1)

My journey to becoming a bike commuter...

Of course, as a kid, I used to love to ride around the neighborhood to get from place to place.  In fact, I became a commuter in middle school as it was the easiest way for me to get to and from school.  I enjoyed riding, to be sure, but there was one aspect of riding that I abhorred: the helmet.  The helmet I was forced to wear was big, round, blue, orange and in all other ways a horror for an 11-year-old boy trying to fit in.  Naturally, no other kid had to wear a helmet.  To other kids, the helmet told them that I was fearful, timid, injury-prone, a wimp - you get the idea.  In fact, I remember one of my classmates devoting an art project to me and my helmet:

Re-creation
I attempted to hide my helmet as best I could.  I'd get to school early and bring it up to the classroom before my friends arrived, lest a girl see me carrying it.  Looking back, I fully understand and appreciate their concern for my safety, but at the time...just shoot me.

More after the jump...



I didn't do much bike riding in high school.  I don't know why - perhaps it was fear of the helmet, or a keen awareness of the stigma associated with arriving to school on two wheels rather than four.  All I know is that it wasn't for me.  My older brother, however, found that cycling suited him just fine.  It suited him so fine, in fact, that he jumped straight into the track racing scene (NOT my brother, but some nice footage of his event), eventually enjoying a great deal of success - training with the national team, picking up some national collegiate championships, and eventually achieving pro status (grabbing a National Championship there as well) - so you might say that cycling is in the family.  My dad loves to ride as well.  It just wasn't for me.

A sad day indeed...
In college, cycling to and from class became more than an option - it became the best choice.  It's useless to attempt to drive across campus and most folks walk anyway, so why not ride and try to get there a little bit quicker?  Plus, there aren't any parents there to force me to wear a helmet!  And as a liberal arts major it was kind of "the thing" to ride your bike around.  The only problem is finding a place to keep said bike:
1) Keeping it outside was no good, as it would be exposed to the weather and thieves
2) Keeping it inside was a pain, as the dorm does not provide any space to store a bike

My dorm closet

Naturally, the problems that this caused far outnumbered the benefits it brought about, so it only lasted 2 semesters, and I was off of the bike for almost 6 years...

How about you? What's your cycling pedigree? Sound off in the comments if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment